Are you an avid traveler who is trying to maintain a consistent yoga practice at home? Traveling can throw a wrench in attempting to build your practice, but it doesn’t have to.
Here are some simple and easy ways to maintain your home practice on the go!
- Take your practice with you!
- Pack a travel mat or bring along a towel to practice some yoga while you’re away. Many companies make thin, easily foldable mats that are perfect for the seasoned traveler.
- Make your practice part of your adventure.
- Plan to wake up early or save some time at the end of the day for some yoga. For me, waking up a little earlier and giving myself a few minutes for my practice is usually best, but some people prefer yoga in the evenings or before heading to bed. Better yet, stop drop and yoga while you’re site seeing! There’s no time like the present, right?
- Find studios or events where you’re traveling to.
- Yoga is an international affair. There are probably many options as far as yoga studios in the place you’re visiting. There may even be an event taking place while you’re there. Most yoga studios have drop in rates.
- Choose pranayama or meditation as opposed to asana.
- Yoga isn’t just about the asana (physical practice). Yoga is about the breath and mind too. Practice your pranayama and meditation while waiting in line or practice a walking meditation. Sit by the water and focus on your breath.
- Any yoga is better than no yoga.
- Even just 10-15 minutes of yoga a day can make a world of difference. If you can take the time to check your e-mails, you can take the time for some yoga!
Happy travels, yogis!