So you’re planning that big summer trip, but you’re worried about how to keep up with your yoga practice. Maybe you’ve got a tight schedule and you’re not sure if you can fit in the yoga. Maybe you’re staying in a hostel and you’re not sure where to practice. Maybe you’re worried jet lag will have you so tired, you just won’t want to.
Well, first things first…do what’s right for you. Remember, yoga isn’t just about the asana, it’s about the meditation and pranayama (breath practice) too. It’s okay to take a break from your yoga practice as well. We all need breaks, from everything in life. It’s okay to say hey…let’s just pause and do something different for a little while. Your yoga mat will always be there for you when you’re ready to come back to it. That’s the beauty about an at-home yoga practice…it’s there when you want or need it.
However…if you’re insisting on trying to keep up with your yoga routine while on the go, here are some helpful tips to keep it up.
- Get a travel yoga mat, something that’s easy to travel with.
- Do short practices, 10-20 minutes. We don’t need to do an hour long yoga practice to feel the benefits. Sometimes just a quick and yummy practice will do!
- Incorporate meditation and pranayama, don’t just focus on asana as the “yoga”.
- Wake up earlier than you want to! Set an alarm.
- Find scenery that will make you want to do yoga. Explore your surroundings a little and find a peaceful spot to do your practice.
- Find a yoga studio where you’re at.
Ultimately, if you’re going on vacation, you’re practicing self-care. That’s what yoga is really all about…taking care of yourself. Take it from someone who travels a lot…sometimes it’s enough to just be present and meditate on how lucky you are to be able to travel!