Meditation has been proven to reduce physical manifestations of stress. The act of deep breathing assists in invoking calm and reducing anxiety. However, committing to a meditation practice can be a daunting idea. How do you even start? In our fast paced society, sitting still for a few minutes a day, trying not to let our thoughts distract us…this can be hard.
Often, we rely on resources, like YouTube videos or applications on our smart phones, to assist us. Here are a few user friendly meditation apps that can be downloaded on any smart phone.
- Headspace – Free
- App requires membership after free trial ($7.92), beginner friendly, easy to use. Offers instructions on how to meditate.
- Meditation Studio – $3.99
- Powered by Gaiam, offers many different types of meditation, offer guided meditations
- Calm – Free
- App requires membership ($4.99), offers different types of meditations,
- Stop, Breath, & Think – Free
- App requires membership ($4.92), offers tutorials on types of breathing as well as guided meditations
- Oprah & Deepak 21 Day Meditation – Free
- App offers free 21 day meditations series, guided meditations with theme, offers mantras as well as journaling prompts
There are many more apps that can be used. Going to a meditation workshop is also an option. Anyway you do it, meditation is only going to be a benefit to your life.
Meditation can be done anytime, anywhere. Whether you’re just starting your day, in the middle of some work, or even driving home (though you don’t want to close your eyes during this meditation!), you can take a few minutes to meditate. Even going for a walking meditation can combine the calming benefits of meditation with the physical benefits of walking.
So go, download an app, and let’s meditate!